18/01/2010

Vintage Clothing treasure hunt


In Britain these days, charity shops are so fabulously stylish that I'm green with envy I don't get to snoop around them all that often. Every high street has at least two and while France doesn't have anything like that, what they do have harbour some amazing treasures.


Saturday afternoons I occasionally meander into Emmaus, a homeless charity. They do house clearances during the week and people drop off unwanted clothes, crockery and furniture to raise money. It must be said you should expect a lot of crud; filthy rugs, night dresses, knackered bits of farming equipment, people fighting over Jonny Halliday records - but amongst all the junk and tattle I always find a jewel in this scruffy old crown. I love to root around second hand shops and have discovered that while a slick of sludgy coloured paint brings furniture back to life, second hand clothes can look fabulous with a little TLC too.

This week, I am over the moon with my purchases, a charcoal grey shift number for office days which looks great with animal print tights and ankle boots and this cracking tweed blazer which is jolly lovely. What's more they fit and next on my list is a seventies puff sleeved dress or jacket to work the denim trend so if anyone knows of any other charity sales I'd love to hear about them.
For now, let's face it, if I can support a local charity, get a vintage shopping fix and still have a few euros left in my purse for a fresh fish supper
" la vie est bien belle ".

No comments: